There’s the OLPC and the Asus EEE. Now comes Aleutia E1. It uses Puppy Linux. The specs of the machine:
- Processor: 200MHz x86 CPU, Memory: 128MB SDRAM, Storage: 2GB (included Compact Flash card), Power Supply (US, UK, or EU).
- 3 x USB 2.0 ports (12Mbps transfer rate), 1 x 10/100 Ethernet port, VGA port to connect LCD display (supports resolutions up to 1280×1024).
- Power consumption of 8W with CPU and SDRAM running at full speed. With external devices (USB 2.0 CD Rewriter, USB-powered hard drive) power consumption rises to 11W.
- Dimensions: 11.5cm (Width) x 11.5cm (Lenght) x 3.5cm (Height).
- Puppy Linux Operating System (version 2.14) – similar in appearance to MS Windows, stable, and pre-installed.
- Excel-compatible spreadsheet software (Gnumeric), Word-compatible word processor (Abiword)
There are comments saying that this is a bit too pricey but hey, the mere fact that it shows people that Linux on small computers caught my attention. Now it’s probably time for manufacturers to figure out how to bring the price down, right? ;)
Blogged with Flock