Yesterday I wrote about my conversation with a sociology lecturer, Dr Vince Miller . I am intrigued about why social networking is growing and the effect on society. Putting together this podcast was great in getting me thinking about what has driven the growth, is it human beings wanting to move away from true community – or even being forced to?
The Engaging Brand podcast is in two parts. The first one The Sociology of Community can be heard here and the second part can be heard here. I would strongly suggest you listen to both as only together do you get the full context of the social networking discussion.
On this second part we talk about
- Are we losing the ability to create communities?
- Do human beings need to belong to a community?
- At what point is a community a social network?
- Is a virtual world a community?
- Is social networking a good thing for society?
- What social skills do we need to evolve for the future?
- Has community become the ultimate in personalisation – My community ?
Would love to hear your thoughts on the show and the reasoning behind the growth in social networking….