Throw a Father’s Day party this weekend with sizzling grilled burgers and plenty of Maker’s Mark Bourbon. Check out these recipes below to get your party started right.
Maker’s Mark® Kobe Beef Burger
Recipe by Hiassam and Ali Beydoun, Owners and Chefs, Frites ‘N’ Meats
Prep Time: 4 hours. Cook Time: 3 hours. Level: Easy.
- 4 six-ounce Kobe beef hamburger patties (regular ground beef can be substituted)
- ½ cup plus 2 teaspoons Maker’s Mark® Bourbon
- cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 pieces plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, cut in half and thinly sliced with the grain
- Salt and black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 soft hamburger buns, brioche preferably
- Marinate the burger patties; Place them in a shallow baking dish and pour a ½ cup of Maker’s Mark® Bourbon over the burgers. Sprinkle the patties with ¼ of the minced garlic. Refrigerate for two hours, then flip the patties; sprinkle with another ¼ of the garlic. Refrigerate another two hours.
- While the burgers are marinating, preheat the oven to 300°F. Place the cut tomato halves on a parchment lined sheet tray, cut side up. Brush the tomatoes lightly with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, the minced thyme, and the remaining minced garlic. Place in the oven and allow the tomatoes to slow roast for about 1½-2 hours until they are slightly dehydrated and begin to color. Once the tomatoes have cooled, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of Maker’s Mark® Bourbon over the tomatoes. Refrigerate until needed.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, caramelize the onions. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil and onions to the pan. Season the onions with salt and cook until they begin to soften, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes more until they begin to break down more and color slightly. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the onions, stirring occasionally, for roughly 2 hours, or until the onions caramelize deep golden brown. Add water to the pan as necessary if the onions begin to stick to the pan. Once the onions are cooked, transfer to a small container and stir in 1 teaspoon of Maker’s Mark® Bourbon. Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat the grill, grill pan, or griddle to high heat. Remove the burgers from the marinade, lightly brush both sides with olive oil, and season well with salt and pepper. Cook your burgers to desired doneness.
- To assemble, lightly toast bun if desired. Add the burger patty and top with caramelized onions and two pieces of tomatoes. Enjoy!
Recipe by Matt Wallace, Mixologist, Seven Grand
- 1 liter Maker’s Mark® Bourbon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Peels of 3 lemons and 1 orange
- Juice of peeled fruit
- 1 liter of strong tea (preferably green tea)
- 250 ml champagne (club soda can be used for a less fancy version)
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Combine sugar and citrus peels in the bottom of a punch bowl. Muddle together until sugar starts to clump together. Let sit for about 2 hours, (while not necessary, this does add a little complexity).
- Brew the tea for about 30 minutes, remove loose tea or tea bags, and allow to cool.
- Add the juice of the peeled fruit, tea, and bourbon. Stir.
- Top with champagne just before serving and stir gently. Top with freshly grated nutmeg and serve.