Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 will be available as a multiplayer beta starting on January 14, 2016. The trailer has been released and, as a longtime player of this ridiculous game, I have to admit that I’m intrigued.
The action takes places in a crazy variety of settings including in space, in castles and with time travel. Say what!? Some scenes from the trailer almost seem like X-Men: Days of Future Past with podshooters backing up into time portals. It’s nuts!
Players will be able to access the game on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One starting next week but will lose access on Monday, January 18, 2016. They will have some limited ability to test out the Backyard Battleground, a hub that allows them to connect to every map and mode in the game. EA is also adding four new maps including Moon Base Z, a low gravity area.
The preview will also allow gamers to check out the 12 vs.12 multiplayer battles, and the two new multiplayer modes – Garden and Graveyards and Herbal Assault. I’ll be honest, though, I’m most curious about these six new playable character classes:
- Kernel Corn - Primary assault class with dual cob busters and a high rate of fire.
- Rose - Sorceress that can turn zombies into fully playable goats. Yes, goats.
- Citron - An orange (!) that also doubles as a time-travelling bounty hunter.
- Imp & Z-Mech - Tiny, agile zombies that turn into a missile-wielding Z-Mech robo of mass destruction.
- Super Brainz – Well coiffed hair and a memorable smile set this superhero apart.
- Captain Deadbeard - A peg-legged captain with a trick weapon up his sleeve.
If you love the demo or miss it, don’t worry, you won’t have to wait too long for the real thing. Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 will become available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on February 23, 2016. Fans that pre-order will also get a Mass Effect-themed mech. Could be totally worth it. In the meantime, check out the trailer: