Last year, an unidentified woman filed a $21 million lawsuit against New York Knicks guard Derrick Rose, claiming that Rose and his two friends drugged and gang-raped her. The incident supposedly occurred back in August 2013.
Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Rose completely denies the allegations, claiming the sex was consensual. In fact, Rose said in court papers filed Monday that he has proof in the form of text messages.
“This is not a rape case. It’s pure and simple extortion by a plaintiff who wants to hide behind the cloak of anonymity while seeking millions in damages from a celebrity with whom she was in a long-term nonexclusive consensual sexual relationship,” the latest filing says.
“Plaintiff is a 30-year old adult who was in a consensual relationship with Mr. Rose; she was the sexual aggressor that night; she brought another woman with her, she claimed she bought (and did bring) the sex toys, she drank before arriving, and asked Mr. Rose for drugs (which he declined) and alcohol.”
“Plaintiff’s own text messages — wrongfully withheld until the day after her deposition — contradict the allegations in the Complaint. The texts show Plaintiff being adventurous, claiming to buy and bringing a sex belt to have fun with Mr. Rose, and then asking Mr. Rose to drive over to her house at 1 a.m. for more consensual sexual interaction. Plaintiff also withheld texts showing that when she woke up the next morning, she asked Mr. Rose for reimbursement for her cab fare and the sex toys she claimed to purchase, and mentioned only that she had a hangover and had to get to work,” the papers say.
The case is set to go to trial on Oct. 4 — the day the NBA’s preseason begins.