President Donald Trump did not mince words during a Friday phone conversation with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto, blasting him for failing to do enough to take on the drug cartels that have hamstrung law and order in Mexico.
“You have some pretty tough hombres in Mexico that you may need help with. We are willing to help with that big-league, but they have to be knocked out and you have not done a good job knocking them out,” Trump told Peña Nieto, according to CNN.
The Associated Press went so far as to report that Trump threatened to invade Mexico if Peña Nieto does not get his country’s criminals under controls, but both the White House and Mexican officials have fervently denied the allegation.
“You have a bunch of bad hombres down there. You aren’t doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn’t, so I just might send them down to take care of that,” the AP claimed that Trump said, citing an anonymous source.
A Mexican official told the AP: “The assertions that you make about said conversation do not correspond to the reality of it. The tone was constructive and it was agreed by the presidents to continue working and that the teams will continue to meet frequently to construct an agreement that is positive for Mexico and for the United States.”
The AP has yet to issue a retraction of the story despite reporting statements from multiple Mexican officials essentially blasting it as fake news.