Vice President Mike Pence took the New York Times to task for reporting that he was gearing up for a presidential campaign in 2020, blasting the insinuation as “disgraceful and offensive” and reiterating his commitment to his role in the Trump administration.
“Today’s article in the New York Times is disgraceful and offensive to me, my family, and our entire team,” Pence said in a statement on Sunday. “The allegations in this article are categorically false and represent just the latest attempt by the media to divide this Administration.”
The New York Times report cited “multiple advisors” to Pence in claiming that the vice president and former Indiana governor had been in talks with Republican donors to run for the Oval Office if Trump did not. The newspaper also claimed that Pence has been “cementing his status as Mr. Trump’s heir apparent” and pouring energy into “his own political fund-raising committee.”
In response, Pence rattled off a list of accomplishments that he and Trump had brought about by working in tandem.
“Thanks to the President’s leadership, we are rebuilding the military, ISIS is on the run, and we’ve seen more than 1 million jobs created while the stock market hits all-time highs,” he said. “The American people know that I could not be more honored to be working side by side with a president who is making America great again.”
Pence also took a jab at the New York Times – or the “failing New York Times,” as Trump has been known to refer to the newspaper – for publishing falsehoods.
“Whatever fake news may come our way, my entire team will continue to focus all our efforts to advance the President’s agenda and see him re-elected in 2020. Any suggestion otherwise is both laughable and absurd,” he concluded.