The White House is pushing back against three women who accused then-candidate Donald Trump of sexual harassment during the presidential campaign, blasting their latest appearance on Megyn Kelly’s NBC show and a follow-up press conference as politicized and opportunistic.
Rachel Crooks, Samantha Holvey, and Jessica Leeds appeared on Monday’s edition of “Megyn Kelly Today” to renew their claims against President Trump, sharing their disappointment that he could be elected to the Oval Office even after they went public with allegations that included groping and forcible kissing.
“I put myself out there for the entire world and nobody cared,” Holvey said.
Holvey, a former Miss USA contestant, came forward in 2016 to accuse Trump of inappropriately inspecting pageant contestants. Leeds claimed that Trump once groped her aboard a plane, while Crooks accused the president of kissing her on the lips at Trump Tower.
“For us to put ourselves out there to try and show America who this man is and especially how he views women, and for them to say, ‘Meh, we don’t care’ – it hurt,” Holvey said. “So now it’s just like, alright, let’s try round two. The environment’s different. Let’s try again.”
The three women later appeared at a press conference for Brave New Films, a company that is set to release a documentary about Trump’s accusers and their stories.
In a statement, the White House characterized the women’s stories as patently false and questioned their motives for speaking out after going silent about their claims once Trump was elected.
“These false claims, totally disputed in most cases by eyewitness accounts, were addressed at length during last year’s campaign, and the American people voiced their judgment by delivering a decisive victory,” a White House spokesperson said. “The timing and absurdity of these false claims speaks volumes and the publicity tour that has begun only further confirms the political motives behind them.”