Tom Petty Died From Accidental Overdose Of Mixed Drugs

Posted in Entertainment
Fri, Jan 19 - 9:13 pm EST | 10 months ago by
Comments: 0
Be Sociable, Share!
Use Arrow Keys (← →) to Browse

Tom Petty’s family released a statement Friday claiming that the legendary rocker died from an accidental overdose from a mix of medications that had been prescribed to him for various ailments, shutting down months of speculation as to what caused his unexpected passing.

“Our family set together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications,” his wife, Dana Petty, wrote in a Facebook post that was also signed by daughter Adria Petty.

“It is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication,” his family added.

Petty suffered from a number of painful medical problems, including a fractured hip, a troubled knee, and emphysema. Doctors prescribed powerful narcotics to help him deal with the pain, including fentanyl patches, a form of drug that can be extremely dangerous and often deadly when taken in high doses or combined with other substances.

In addition to pain management medications, Petty was taking oxycodone, temazepam, and several other narcotics.

“We feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident,” his family concluded.

Petty’s cause of death was officially listed as multisystem organ failure that lead to cardiac arrest from “mixed drug toxicity.”

“On a positive note, we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40 plus year career,” his wife and daughter wrote.

Use Arrow Keys (← →) to Browse

Be Sociable, Share!

Related Posts

Be Sociable, Share!