Wednesday, October 7th, 2009

How Do I Customize Mozilla Firefox Toolbars to My Desires

July 28, 2009 by Jason Bean
Filed under Computers

I’ve been blogging a bit lately about how we have this unneeded fascination with the size of our technology devices. I’ve argued that for my personal preference having the smallest version of something doesn’t really matter to me, in my daily work, portable is more helpful than completely mobile.

firefox-toolbar-size-mgmt

I’m going to contradict myself a bit now with that argument. When it comes to screen real-estate, I want an effective use of space. This argument may be less of a rant on size though and more of a rant on flexibility and personal preference.

This was recently made clear to me as I was trying to customize the display and organization of my toolbars in Mozilla Firefox.

If we take a look at the graphic above, there’s an illustration of what I’m talking about here. Layered towards the back of the graphic is how my collection of toolbars currently display in Mozilla Firefox 3.5.1. Taking up quite a bit of screen space.

My preference, after manually editing how I’d like things to be organized in a graphics program, is the way the color graphic is displayed. It’s a little hard to tell perhaps, but my Firefox related toolbars are stacked horizontally at the top, with the bookmarks bar below, then followed by my Google Toolbar and StumbleUpon toolbar’s stacked horizontally at the bottom. Three lines of toolbars instead of the previous five lines of toolbars.

From what I can tell, in Firefox, toolbars are locked and cannot be stacked horizontally to save space. Am I missing something that will allow me to do that?

• StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • TwitThis
  • Reddit
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Slashdot
  • BallHype
  • YardBarker

Comments

12 Responses to “How Do I Customize Mozilla Firefox Toolbars to My Desires”
  1. John Huff says:

Right click on the toolbars, and you will get a pop-up window. Do not select anything in the pop-out, but in order to move and rearrange the toolbars you simply click on them and move them to your desired place.

2. Jason Bean says:

John, when I right-click I see the menu, but I’m still not able to move anything around in Firefox 3.5.1. What am I missing?

3. Jude says:

This seems to work: go to View ->Toolbars ->Customize… and drag your toolbars where you want them.

4. Jason Bean says:

Jude that still doesn’t let me move around other toolbars and stack them next to each other. It only lets me customize placement of items within all of Firefox toolbars, all of Google tools, etc.

5. Jude says:

Um, I’ve found that I can rearrange the toolbars, for example you could move the search (Google) toolbar down onto the same line as the bookmarks toolbar, and then put the address bar next to that, so that all you had were the navigation buttons on the top line (if you really wanted to do that!). Perhaps I’m not quite understanding what you’re trying to do? :)

6. Jason Bean says:

Jude, follow this link to see how I have my current toolbars arranged. I’ve combined a few of them to save another line of room from the stack. What I’d love to do is move my StumbleUpon (not currently shown) toolbar next to the items at the end of my Google Toolbar in the blank space on the right.

• Jude says:

If you put a checkmark next to your StumbleUpon toolbar in View ->Toolbars to make it ‘visible’, and then go to View ->Toolbars ->Customize (dragging the ‘Customize Toolbar’ dialog box that comes up out of the way), can you not just move your mouse over to the toolbar area (so that it becomes a hand icon), and drag the StumbleUpon toolbar next to the items at the end of your Google Toolbar in the blank space to the right? (If that doesn’t work, then I’m sorry, I just don’t know what else to suggest!).

7. Jason Bean says:

Yeah, that doesn’t work. Now it becomes clear for my frustration. The obvious and expected solutions just won’t work.

8. Jude says:

I’m sorry. I’ve managed to arrange my toolbars so that they take up less room, much like you were looking to achieve.

9. Jude says:

This website pretty much explains how to move and unlock toolbars in Firefox: https://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2009/06/how-to-move-unlock-firefox-toolbar/

10. Jude says: