How to Shorten Your Workout
Want more efficiency from your workout? Getting more from less is always a difficult feat, but it can be done if you’re willing to work harder and learn to workout smarter. Here’s how to shorten your workout without sacrificing too many benefits.
- Jog inside the gym and then get your cardio done first. This gives you a tiny warm up before you start and gets your blood flowing for your weight lifting routine.
- Condense your cardio effort. If you spend 20 minutes running for 2 miles, put more energy into less amount of time. Try a higher pace for less time like 1.8 miles in 16 minutes. You’re cutting .2 miles but you’re also expending more energy because you’re giving yourself 4 less minutes.
- Weave your sets. From curls go straight to back and give yourself no resting time. Try to keep your proximity to the equipment (dumbells, lat bar, barbell, bench, etc.) close so you can go back and forth in no time.
- Don’t go to the gym at peak time. You’re asking for a wait if you visit during the after work rush.
- Go for 2 sets with more reps vs. 3 sets with less reps. You’ll still get most of your reps in and you’ll do it in less time because you won’t need the break period between the 2nd and 3rd set and the time of the actual 3rd set. For example, 2×16 vs. 3×12.
- Don’t decide at the gym. Have your workout already programmed and ready to go.
- Be flexible. If someone is on your next machine, be ready to move to an alternative exercise or the next in line. If you’re shortening your workout, you can’t afford to wait for people to get off machines.