Newman; Wallace: Former ‘Mates Still Can’t See Eye to Eye

July 29, 2008 by Tim Zaegel
Filed under Racing

NASCAR Nextel Cup Awards Banquet

It’s no huge secret that Ryan Newman and Rusty Wallace were never exactly the closest of friends during the few short years that they teamed together at Penske Racing earlier this decade, and their relationship was again tested this past weekend at Indianapolis, and it was Rusty that fired the opening shots.

Baffled at the notion that anyone would ever dare leave a man that he has such deep respect for, Roger Penske and his organization, Rusty allegated that it was Penske Racing’s decision to let Newman go and that they’d fired him.

“He didn’t leave,” Wallace stated. “I’ve read many, many stories that said that. Roger Penske called Ryan Newman up to his office and said, ‘I don’t need your services next year.’ Ryan Newman didn’t come to him and say ‘I’m leaving.’ Ok? You all need to write about that. That’s exactly how it went down. Obviously there was some bad blood there when that happened. I love Roger Penske, so I’m going to help clear the story up for him.”

Newman was later addressed by the media about Rusty’s comments. Always the witty one, and never one to let himself get pushed around, Newman’s responses did not disappoint.

When asked if Rusty’s comments upset him, Newman responded, “Was he concious when he said it? …. It doesn’t matter to me. I know Rusty and his personalities - plural - and, everybody is different.”

Rusty was always apprehensive of Newman ever since the day that the Daytona 500 winner joined Penske Racing full-time back in 2002, and the two have never been on the same page ever since. The bad blood there could have a lot to do with the statements that Rusty made, but then again, there are probably few people in the sport as close to Penske as Wallace is. It is a bit shocking, however, that as one of NASCAR’s distinct faces in the broadcast booth now with ESPN taking the helm for the current portion of the Sprint Cup schedule, that Rusty would be so blatant in calling out one of the drivers, particularly one he has a history with. Darrell Waltrip caused quite a stir when he found himself in similar situation when he was bashing on Tony Stewart week after week, and many fans still take an anti-DW stance because of comments he made during that span.

BallHype: hype it up!

• StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • TwitThis
  • Reddit
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Slashdot
  • BallHype
  • YardBarker

Comments

21 Responses to “Newman; Wallace: Former ‘Mates Still Can’t See Eye to Eye”
  1. Newman's #1 says:

This is typical of Rusty. It’s best he stays quite and avoids situations that don’t concern him. Roger said it was a mutual decision, and that’s what I’m gonna believe.

2. Newman's #1 says:

My mistake, I meant quiet. Rusty’s just being Rusty. Not in a good way.

3. Tim Zaegel says:

I can understand why Rusty would feel the need to throw his two cents in, I’m just not sure it’s been his smartest decision considering his current position as a NASCAR analyst and that they’re supposed to give the impression of being impartial.

4. Virginia says:

What is it to Rusty Wallace anyway?

5. shirley Nolen says:

Rusty Wallace is in broadcasting now and should be professional enough to keep his stupid mouth shut! Bashing a fellow driver and team mate certainly doesn’t speak well for him. Besides, he’s terrible as a broadcaster, repeating himself and using his silly slang comments over and over.
    If he is to continue in the booth he should take some speech lessons and broaden his vocabulary!

6. Patsy says:

I have always known Rusty was a whiner, but does he have to be such a “baby”? Ryan is making a decision for a career move and that is all. After what has happened with Kurt Busch and Ryan cars this year, who would figure that Ryan would want out as soon as possible. Good for you, Ryan. Go for it!!!

7. kevin says:

That’s always been the problem with Rusty, he can never shut up! If he ran a race car, as well as he ran his mouth, he may have amounted to more in his career. He got scared racing, and quit because of his fear. He is a lousy commentator, and blathers on endlessly. Wish you’d just leave nascar altogether Crusty, and leave the commentating to the professionals.

8. Tim Zaegel says:

“Rusty Wallace is in broadcasting now and should be professional enough to keep his stupid mouth shut! Bashing a fellow driver and team mate certainly doesn’t speak well for him.”

Shirley, this would definitely be the point that I feel strongly about. To me, that is just something that has always gone hand-in-hand with being an analyst / commentator for any professional sport.

9. Tim Zaegel says:

“Ryan is making a decision for a career move and that is all. After what has happened with Kurt Busch and Ryan cars this year, who would figure that Ryan would want out as soon as possible.”

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t know this be fact, but it almost seems like Penske has begun to pay more attention to their open wheel teams, and it’s really put a damper on their Cup efforts. This team’s really gone downhill the past couple years.

10. Tim Zaegel says:

“If he ran a race car, as well as he ran his mouth, he may have amounted to more in his career.”

55 career wins and a Cup Series championship … you sure we’re talking about the same guy here?

11. Susan says:

Rusty needs to get a grip and grown the H__ up. I would not want to mess with Newman on one of his worse days. It is a shame that Rusty can’t be a professional. He is such whiner, a grown cry baby is all the devil he is. RUSTY GROW THE H_______UP.. this is just some more on none your business,.

12. Newman's #1 says:

Is it me, or do a lot of people just hate Rusty? I have nothing against him, but I don’t like how he always runs his mouth! Half of these comments made me laugh. wow

13. Annie from ND says:

I have been a Rusty fan for many years, a racing fan that is. He is a nice guy and I miss seeing him race, but I am disappointed seeing him as a commentator. He is supposed to be impartial, but he has always been very opionated. He retired because of many reasons, fear wasn’t one of them. He ran one of the fastest laps in NASCAR history before they put restrictor plates on the cars at a test session, 212 I believe, and he wasn’t scared then!

14. Bill says:

Rusty Wallace can say whatever he wants. Last time I checked we are in the United States Of America -(a free country) where we are free to express our opinions and speak the truths. Ryan has won how many chanpionships? Oh yea, that’s right. He was scared that maybe Ryan would crash and take him out also, that’s the only thing he was scared of.

15. Tim Zaegel says:

“What is it to Rusty Wallace anyway?”

I think Rusty just feels like he owes a lot of his success to Roger Penske and feels the need to go to bat for the guy. Understandable.

16. Tim Zaegel says:

“I would not want to mess with Newman on one of his worse days.”

That’s one of the truest statements on this thread. Newman’s a pretty stocky fella and looks like he could probably put down a whoppin’ if so prompted.

17. Tim Zaegel says:

“He ran one of the fastest laps in NASCAR history before they put restrictor plates on the cars at a test session, 212 I believe, and he wasn’t scared then!”

I remember that, Annie … in fact, I think Bill Elliott was the only guy that ran one faster. Could be wrong, though.

18. Tim Zaegel says:

“Ryan has won how many chanpionships? Oh yea, that’s right.”

In Newman’s defense, though, he didn’t exactly bring this on. Rusty definitely started this particular battle.

19. Newman's #1 says:

LOL Susan and Tim, I agree. Don’t piss Rocketman off! :) I’m surprised he didn’t lose his cool!

20. Nick says:

Tim, you’re a fine writer, crisp and to the point. Why in the world would you employ such an awful term as “allegated”?! What’s wrong with good ole “alleged”?

21. Tim Zaegel says:

lol … Well, honestly, Nick, I’d have to say that when poor grammar such as that sneaks through the cracks, it’s more often than not merely a by-product of me writing some of these stories late at night. Thanks for the compliments, nonetheless.