Skip to content

Tuesday, January 5th, 2010

Silly Season Tracker – Updated 7/19

July 19, 2008 by Tim Zaegel
Filed under Racing

Transactions:
- DEI has picked up the 2009 option on Martin Truex Jr, though Truex disputes the legality of the verbiage in the contract.
- Hendrick Motorsports has announced the release of Casey Mears for next season.
- Richard Childress Racing has extended Clint Bowyer’s contract through 2011.
- Roush-Fenway Racing has extended Greg Biffle’s contract through 2011.
- Gillette-Evernham Motorsports has signed Elliott Sadler through 2010.
- Richard Childress Racing has announced the addition of the #33 car as a fourth Cup team in 2009.
- Petty Enterprises has signed Bobby LaBonte through 2012.
- Roush-Fenway Racing has signed Carl Edwards through 2011.
- Due to a lack of sponsorship, Chip Ganassi Racing is forced to shut down the no. 40 car driven by Dario Franchitti for the remainder of the season.
- Hendrick Motorsports has signed Mark Martin to drive the no. 5 car full-time in 2009 and part-time in 2010.
- Tony Stewart announced his departure from Joe Gibbs Racing to go to Stewart Haas Racing (formerly Haas CNC Racing) as a 50% owner and a full-time driver in 2009.
- Ryan Newman has announced that he will not re-sign with Penske Racing for the 2009 season.
- JTG Dougherty Racing has signed Marcos Ambrose to drive their new no. 47 entry in the Sprint Cup Series next year.

Teams Without an Assigned 2009 Driver:

• TwitThis
  • Reddit
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Slashdot
  • BallHype
  • YardBarker

Comments

6 Responses to “Silly Season Tracker – Updated 7/19”
  1. J Allen says:

Don’t be surprized to see Kenny Wallace in the RCR #33 car for 2009

2. Tim Zaegel says:

That one actually wouldn’t surprise me. My original call was that if they couldn’t sign LaBonte then it would be someone of lesser name value just to get the team started. I also wouldn’t be too surprised if it were Ken Schrader.

3. Dan says:

Why not give mayfield another chance. It would take an idiot after sitting out this long to make the same mistakes he has made all over again.
    I have heard the term he is cancer to a team I do not recall anyone running bad because of his actions .Usually the other driver on his team was running better and that helped fuel the fire of his frustration. Tony Stewart has popped off a few times and he is not black listed .How many times have you seen Mayfield take a swing at someone on national television (Harvick).The bottom line is he is very marketable and if I have to be the one to say it he drives pretty darn good to . I think that anyone looking at the list of available drivers out there right now would be crazy not to move Jeremy to the top of there list.

Of course these are my view of things
    but I do consider myself pretty smart when it comes to running a profitable business !

4. Tim Zaegel says:

Dan, something you’ve got to keep in mind is that Mayfield’s reputation as being a “cancer” to the team isn’t based on things that he does to make headlines, such as hitting people or things of that nature. The big hangup with Jeremy is that he’s just not a good teammate and he’s tough for management to work with … guy like Harvick and Stewart – despite their reputations – are not difficult to work with. Plus, they’re 10x the driver that Mayfield is.

I’m not saying he won’t find a ride next year, but it won’t be with Penske – which traces back to his attitude problem, something they’ve tried once before – and, he certainly won’t be anyone’s #1 prospect. Whoever winds up with Mayfield driving their car will have gotten there by a lack of options.

5. Tim Zaegel says:

Btw, I’ve met Mayfield before … the guy’s a prick.

6. Dan says:

Tim
    I have met him before as well it was superbowl weekend he was with Penske at the time we where all stuck at the airport because the planes where froze over me and my wife went to him she ask for his autograph we spoke for a little while and he invited us to dinner he was very nice and even picked up the tab so maybe you where the prick and for some reason he just didnt like you I dont know but my expierence with him was good !