Sunday, October 4th is National Taco Day with many restaurants around the country celebrating with special taco deals. But if you are staying home and having a get-together with some friends to watch football, you should also celebrate with tacos. These shrimp tacos are unexpectedly delicious using Herradura Tequila and Newcastle Brown Ale for some real flavor.
- 1 lb peeled, uncooked shrimp cut into pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped fine
- peanut oil
- 1/4 cup Tequila Herradura Silver
- 1/4 cup Newcastle Brown Ale
- 10 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded fine
- hot sauce
- Combine shrimp, cilantro and garlic in a medium bowl. Mix well and let sit about 10 minutes. If you have more time to marinate, just put them in the refrigerator.
- Heat a non-stick pan really well and then add about 1 tablespoon of peanut oil.
- Add shrimp and stir fry quickly – they’ll cook fast!
- When the shrimp are almost cooked remove from heat (you don’t want a flame-up) and add the tequila and ale. Mix gently.
- After about a minute, return to the heat and stir well.
- Serve by placing some sour cream on a warmed tortilla, add a little cabbage, the shrimp and a final drizzle of hot sauce.
The perfect drink to complement these fabulous tacos is the Cinco Herradura, made with tequila, pineapple juice and cranberry juice.
- 1 1/2 oz. Tequila Herradura Silver
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 2 oz cranberry juice
- splash of lemon-lime soda
- Stir the tequila, fruit juices and soda together in a tall glass.
- Squeeze a wedge of fresh lime and stir again.
- Rim 1/3 of a cocktail or margarita glass in green sugar, 1/3 in red sugar and 1/3 in white sugar.
- Pour drink into rimmed glass and serve.
Recipes and image courtesy of Herradura Tequila.