New Intel Core i5, i7 Lynnfield CPUs Now For Sale
Computer hardware enthusiasts online are busy hanging out at Tom’s Hardware, discussing the potentials and pitfalls of Intel’s new processors, the Core i5 750 (2.66Ghz), Core i7 860 (2.8Ghz), and the Core i7 870 (2.93 Ghz).
Codenamed Lynnfield, these CPUs supposedly enjoy the benefits of a new memory and bus interface, withthe integration of some of the northbridge’s functions into the chip itself. As enthusiasts and their favorite websites run these new thingamajigs through your typical benchmark and stress tests, it remains to be seen if the improvements represent long-term improvements over Intel’s previous generation CPUs, and the older i7s.
The new processors do represent a platform commitment; these new chips require socket LGA 1156 motherboards to work. It’s unlikely many people now have the necessary hardware, and Intel’s upcoming Core i3 processors—also designed to work on LGA 1156 motherboards—are the “low-end” variant of this new processor line.
In any case, if you’re feeling a bit adventurous, NewEgg is now selling Intel’s new Core i5 and i7 chips, along with compatible motherboards. Personally, I’d go for the Core i5 750, even though it won’t feature hyper-threading. Here are some buy links for your convenience:
- Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 – $209.99
- Intel Core i7 860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860 – $299.99
- Intel Core i7 870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7870 – $579.99
- GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD6 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard – $249.99
- MSI P55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard – $159.99
- Intel BOXDP55WG LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard – $139.99
*Recommended based on NewEgg ratings; one motherboard is from Intel.