Nikon DS3 and Nikkor AF-S DX Micro Lens Announced
If you’re a professional photographer who’s got $7000 to spend (and you should, because great pictures definitely shouldn’t come cheap), Nikon has the perfect pricey proposition for you! The new Nikon DS3 and Nikkor AF-S DX Micro 85mm F/3.5G ED VR lens is sure to put a dent in anyone’s budget, in return for a max ISO of 102,400 and the ability to take pictures really really up-close. Here are some highlights of the new expensive toys.
- Base ISO Range from 200 to 12,800, expandable from 100 to a staggering 102,400!
- 9 frames per second at full resolution
- 720p HD video recording with stereo microphone input
- Same amazing low light ability can be applied to movies
- 12.1 mp FX-format full frame CMOS sensor
- 51 point AF system, 3D Matrix metering and Scene Recognition System
- $5199.95 estimated selling price
- Scheduled for a November 2009 release from “authorized Nikon resellers”
Nikkor AF-S DX Micro 85mm F/3.5G ED VR lens
- VR II for up to 4 stops of correction
- Internal focusing design
- Use of an ED glass element
- 1:1 life-size reproduction ratio
- $529.99 estimated selling price
- Scheduled for a December 2009 release from “authorized Nikon resellers”
All I know is that integrating video capture capability into a $5000 camera is the least Nikon can do. Professional-level gadgets were never known for their value-for-money proposition (mostly), but every extra feature makes multiple digits seem more reasonable.